Saturday, September 25, 2010

Friday Harbor

An unexpected trip up to Friday Harbor brought an opportunity for some great photos and a couple of wonderful hikes.  The weather was warm most of the time:  Bay Area warm.  There was also rain and wild clouds.  On Thursday, Margie and I left mom in the hospital and headed to Anacortes waterfront for a 6 mile hike.

The bridge-like walkway across the bay




I am hooked on this wonderful yellow fungus/mold that grows on the wood decking and pilings.  John or Holly might know what it is, but, even without knowing, I love the colors.
the bridge walkway
We walked to the end of the bridge and then along the road, adding a couple of miles.  The road was pretty dangerous because there really isn't a trail-just cars wizzing by.  We gave up and headed back.  The view of the bridge is wonderful.
 After Mom was cleared for take-off, we headed to the ferry line.  I had to wait because we could only get one priority boarding pass.  I love this ferry line.  Every time we drive up, we wait in line and have a chance to walk down by the water.  It brings me back to my first wait in the Anacortes ferry line over 30 years ago.  I remember when Mom and Margie picked me up at SeaTac and we headed up the freeway.  I got out of the car at the ferry line and smelled something strange.  I asked mom what that strange smell was and she said something like, "Why Suzie, it's fresh air."  I'm a real city girl, used to exhaust and sewers.
I love the old pilings at the water front and always take pictures.


Not sure why I like them so much.  It's probably the contrast of the wood against the sky and the water and the wonderful, worn, irregular shapes.  Sometimes you get lucky and see some amazing birds.
This guy posed so nicely for me
I also practiced my macro lens that lets me take extreme closeups without the blur.  Great for a little camera.
The lens works really well.
The day was very misty although it never rained.  There were wisps of low clouds that hovered around the ferry building and the islands.
I didn't have very good light on the ferry ride, so I really just hung out and knitted.  However, there was one great shot of Mt. Baker through the glass window.  Seeing Mt Baker is always sort of a good omen for a visit.  If we can see it, the visit just seems that much nicer.
Can't believe how well this turned out thru glass-no glare at all

Now that the extreme worry over Mom was over, Margie and I did get a chance to go on a couple of hikes.  One of my favorites starts right on the corner of Roche Harbor road and the left turn to English Camp.  I found it by accident last August and was able to find it again to show Margie.   It was a new one for her.  First we walked to a beautiful pond/lake.  The grass had been cut so the trail was easier to find. (Last year, the grass was so tall, I had to guess at where to walk).  We had beautiful late afternoon light and took some photos.
The light on the water is always amazing here.






Photos for you, Mom.  I think they came out well what with the fantastic afternoon light.  I always remember Luis telling me to never take photos at noon.  The light is just too harsh.
We then hiked up the back way to the top of Mt Young.  Not much of a mountain and on the map, it has been downgraded to a hill.  It's called Young Hill now.  We prefer Mt Young.  Sounds like more of a hike.
Incredible clouds

I always get great cloud shots here

Same day, same time, clouds less wild.

Thought it would pour, but it didn't


I will never tire of this view
The hike down was much faster.  We made it down before dark and before rain.

The next day we did the Mt.  Findlayson hike up to Cattlepoint Lighthouse.  It was my day to catch the ferry so we only walked the hill part of the hike and didn't get down to the lighthouse.  The day was incredible.  Wild clouds again and sunshine.  Very changeable weather.  

Victoria and Vancouver Island in the distance

Looking in the opposite direction towards Cattlepoint

sun on water through clouds-it was mid-morning!

Looking towards Lopez Island
The next two pictures show the changing weather.  It's hard to imagine that these photos were taken seconds apart, just in opposite directions.
Toward Cattlepoint

Towards Victoria
Finally, some photos of Margie and me. 



Our shadows, looking down the hill.

The visit turned out to be wonderful though it started with a bit of a fright.  Margie and I caught up and we were able to be with mom a lot.  I realized how uncomfortable I would have been at home.  Family is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment