Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lima

Plaza de Armas
World Cup Fever
I wanted to add a post about Lima.  We spent a total of almost 2 weeks there off and on and although I didn't get to see as much as I wanted (no museums!!) I did see many old buildings that I loved.  Lima needs more time.

Universidad Inca Garcilaso de la Vega

We went past Luis' university, the famous one where he and Flaco, Toño, Tony met.  I had heard so many stories and I think if a tenth of them were true, it was a wild time.  It's smack in the middle of Lima.  Other favorite shots were the wonderful buildings, old ones, with great metal work and fantastic plaster work.






Loved them all!!  There was also a lot of rubble and buildings that had a facade, but nothing else.  Some are the result of earthquake damage, and some are just destroyed.

We spent one of the last days on the walking street Jiron de la Union, that goes from Plaza San Martin to the Plaza de Armas.  Gillian had to buy a gold bracelet for Ariana since she will be the godmother.  We went to millions of jewelry stores.  Gretta was amazing, helping us get a good deal and being patient above and beyond.  If you pay cash and don't ask for a receipt (no record of the purchase, and no taxes), you can often get a really good deal.
Jiron de laUnion

Plaza San Martin

Mariana and I got bored, especially when we had to find blue jeans for Gillian.  They are cheap and there is a certain kind that makes you look like you have a butt.  We call them "hacer poto jeans":  Make- a -butt jeans.  Mariana and I headed to the Plaza de Armas to watch a futbol game.  They had a huge TV screen and lots of action...really fun.
Then lunch, shopping, and an exhausting taxi ride back to Flaco's house.  It was  a fun day and it made me want to see more of Lima.

No comments:

Post a Comment